THE BIRMINGHAM GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY, INC.
The Birmingham Genealogical Society was organized March 15, 1959 and incorporated June 28, 1969. It was organized exclusively for educational and research purposes, and to foster preservation of genealogical and historical material.
It conducts forums, panels, lectures, and similar programs for the study of genealogy. It collects genealogical and historical records and from time to time donates books and material to libraries and archives where they are accessible to students of genealogy. It aids members in tracing their ancestry and fosters careful documentation and promotes scholarly writing. It issues publications for distribution to members, and to exempt organizations in exchange programs. We are not set up to do genealogical research, but letters to the Society are read aloud at meetings and individual members answer such letters in which they may have information to share.
Regular meetings are held the 4th Saturday of each month at 2 p.m. at the Lynn Henley Research Building of the Birmingham Public Library. We do not meet during the month of December.
Members participate in teaching classes in Genealogy, giving lectures to various clubs, genealogical and historical societies, and as volunteers donate time to Library projects. In the summer of 1996 our Computer User Group merged into the Birmingham PAF User's Group which meets the 2nd Saturday each month at 9:30 a.m. at the Family History Center of the LDS Church on the corner of Altadena Road and Cahaba River Road.